Friday, April 27, 2012

when life hands you lemons.

We are coming up on a busy time of year.  Three out of the 5 of us have a birthday between May 29 and June 9, the eldest daughter is graduating from high school on June 10 {of which equals tons of senior picnics and breakfasts and celebrations}, and now the nice people who are buying our house would like to move up the closing date from mid-July to end-of-May.  saywhatnow?


As you can imagine, this completely puts a bump in our smooth transition, as we are planning to stay in Spokane until the end of June so the kids can finish the school year.  Honestly though, good problems, right?  Our house sold and that's the most important thing.  So, it looks like this family will be packing up and taking advantage of temporary housing for about a month.  An adventure!

As you can also imagine, the children of this family are not so amused with the date-modification.  Heck, if leaving your friends isn't hard enough, now you get to watch all of your bedroom collections be packed away into boxes, and then you get to cram into a hotel-complete-with-kitchenette for a WHOLE MONTH... with your whole fam-damily!  Cha-ching! I don't think so.


So, life handed us a lemon or two, what can we do?  Here's what I have been deciding over the last few days, as I bear witness to my children's sometimes crumbling emotions over the deal:  I'm switching my role as 'sympathetic mom' to 'encouraging mom.'  Encouraging mom can and will be empathetic, don't get me wrong.  And maybe on a really lucky day, one might find sympathy from me.  But what this family needs is some good, positive, we-can-do-this vibes.  I'm all for reflecting upon what we are losing and my children have EVERY right to experience their emotions of sadness, but I feel like it's not what we need to focus on.  We hardly need to feel sorry for ourselves.  We are a good, strong family unit and we are very fortunate in life.  This move could just as well be the bestest thing we ever do for our family.  Perhaps one day, after we are living in Pittsburgh for a while, a kid will look up to me and say, "I love my school and all of my friends.  I'm so glad we moved here."  So, rather than feel sad when I see my children sad and let the guilt eat me alive, I am going to remain positive and upbeat.  It's easy to turn into a pile of mush when kids are hurting, but I'm going to actually attempt to lift them up out of their despair... and hopefully lift myself up as well.  This move can be sooooooo fun and awesome and amazing!  If only we let it be that.

Let's turn those lemons into lemon bars!  Lemonade is so overly used!  And lemon bars are the BOMB!


P.S. So who's going to remind me daily of my new role, when the poop starts hitting the fan? 



5 comments:

  1. Love the attitude! I am so not the most positive person, but i will try to lift your spirits if you feel down! That is a lot going on in a short time - I will keep you and your family in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the attitude! I am so not the most positive person, but i will try to lift your spirits if you feel down! That is a lot going on in a short time - I will keep you and your family in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much. We could probably use some prayers. :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome! You can do it! By the way...is that your wreath?! I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And no, I WISH that was my wreath. Isn't it lovely? I found it on Pinterest. :)

      Delete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...