Monday, June 25, 2012

big deep thoughts on moving far away.

Sunday was a wonderfully laid-back day in Pittsburgh.  In regards to the house, we finished what we needed and now we have time to explore and play, before heading back to Spokane.  For a brief time, my brain has been given adequate time to rest and reflect on the process of moving from one side of the country to the other.  Or rather, my brain has been given adequate time to rest and then spontaneously think thoughts that are quite profound, from time-to-time.  One thought that suddenly popped up over lunch: being on the other side of the country doesn't feel like being on the other side of the country.  This is profound for me, because when I first discovered we were moving {and I adamantly said no to such a crazy idea}, I subconsciously thought that being in Pittsburgh was going to feel so very far away from the Northwest {the only home I've ever known}.  I thought that distance was something that was physically felt and that it was not going to feel very pleasant at all.  But as I sat there, over lunch {in Pittsburgh}, I realized very much that I did not feel far away from anywhere.  I simply felt whatever it is to be where one is at a single moment in time.  {deep, right?}  As I flew over this fine country by plane, I never felt that I was growing ever farther from home.  There was never a point where I said, "Okay, this is going too far."  I just felt like I was in a plane {for a very long time, enjoying my book}.

I think what my brain is trying so hard to say is that there is no reason to feel scared and alone, just because the distance has increased between my little family and "the familiar."  Distance {at least for me} is not something physically felt, I am realizing.  Now a person's absence is certainly felt and so for that, I am grateful for a wonderfully supportive family who promises to visit often.  And as much as I will feel the physical absence of family and friends, emotionally these people will be with me always.  And technology makes it possible for me and the children to easily keep connected with those we treasure. When we moved from Portland {where I was born and raised} to Seattle, it was only a 2.5 hour drive in-between.  I don't recall feeling far away.  Then when we moved from Seattle to Spokane, increasing the drive to 6.5 hours, I still didn't feel far away.  But moving all the way across the country?  That has got to feel like something, right?  Good news, good news.  It does not.  In fact, it feels kind of adventurous!  And family and friends are only a plane-ride away.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...