Tuesday, July 24, 2012

great faces great places.

Today we drove across the wonderful state of South Dakota, after one last morning drenching in our hotel water park.  Husband and I even got on our swimsuits and let the kids convince us to go tubing down the water slides.  So fun!  












About 30 miles east of Rapid City is a small town called Wall.  And Wall has a drugstore called Wall Drug.  And it's quite the tourist trap.  We know because we got sucked in two years ago.  So we just drove on through and enjoyed the plethora of signs.  We only permit ourselves one tourist trap per day and we had our sights set on another one down the road...


I call this one What South Dakota Looks Like the Whole Entire Way.

And just in case you thought I was kidding.

And then our tourist trap of choice... the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD.  I don't even know what to say about this place.  I think I'm still in denial that we even stopped.  Apparently there's a 15 minute movie that tells the story of this place, but we didn't see it.  So, I can't even tell you the point of this building or anything.  It appears to be made of corn.  It appears to have a "corn-cession" stand in the entrance.  And it appears to have an arena that is being used to sell homemade goods, stuff made in China, and stuff made out of corn.











I'm hugging this happy corn, but I'm not exactly sure why.
Maybe because it's over and I'm about to get back in the car.

When I get in the car I realize that my mom, dad, brother, and his girlfriend are all in Italy right now, while I'm at a corn palace in South Dakota.  And I just hugged a happy ear of corn.

It's hot here.  It's hot in Spokane, but not like this.  We have entered humidity.  It's weird to think that when this vacation is over, I will be living in a humid place - on the east coast.  I think we are all still trying to wrap our brain around that idea.  Right now it just feels like we are on a fun road trip, when in reality all of our belongings are being shipped across the country right now.  Crazy, right?


1 comment:

  1. Wow! South Dakota and Northern Indiana look pretty much the same.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...