Thursday, August 16, 2012

my big girl.




Perhaps it's selfish of me to think this way, having just moved her across the country, away from her friends and social life and comforts, but I am greedily enjoying the time I am spending with my eldest.   I know this whole family is enjoying this time with her.  Yes, she has always been with us, under the same roof and sitting at the dinner table every night, but in every house we've ever lived, she has always had the bedroom on a lower floor than the rest of us {and has spent much time there as a teenager, as you can imagine}.  Plus, being a college student, she has always had much studying to be done, as you can also imagine.  But in this new house, we all sleep on the same floor.  And it's incredible just how simple something such as that can be in terms of family bonding.  And add to that, having no Pittsburgh friends as of yet, we are all relying on one another for support and communication.  In this past week, I have enjoyed more car rides with Elyssa than I have since she started driving.  She comes grocery shopping with me even!

I am excited to see this girl make new friends and keep in touch with her dear friends back in Spokane. I look forward to the day she is invited out and goes exploring with people her own age.  And as a mother, I still feel guilty for moving her so far away from loved ones.  But if there is any good to come out of this, it is that I am feeling a reconnect with my big girl.  She's smart, hilarious, stubborn, and says it like it is with me.  She has surpassed me in so many things and I find myself letting her take the lead most of the time.  Whatever she decides to do in life, those around her will be very blessed to know her.  Beautiful, inside and out, that girl.

I love you, Elyssa.

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy that all the family sleeps upstairs, that is such a blessing! Enjoy this special time with your special family! It sounds like this house was made for you to live in and make it your home! I can hardly wait to see it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hardly wait for you to see it too! And for you to just be here! I miss you!!!!!
      And I am excited to see your photos once you can blog again. I'm sure you have enough photos to last a year!

      Delete
  2. My family moved cross-country when I was a teen. At first it was the end of my world, but now I can't imagine my life without that move. It brought our family so close together and my mom and I are best of friends because of it!

    Emilie
    live.eat.smile.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...