Monday, August 13, 2012

some days are harder than others.


I'm just going to go ahead and put myself out there in an honest way, because if you've ever had the pleasure of moving to somewhere completely foreign to you, not knowing a single soul or ever knowing where you are directionally at any given time, then you know it's not always easy.  This move has not been completely easy, although from the proof in all of my photos we have had our share of good times.  I would say that the routine pattern I am functioning on is one that allows one day to be pleasant and encouraging and the following day to suck lemons.  Today is a lemon-sucking kind of day.  Today was/is hard.  Anything and everything that could go wrong did go wrong.  I couldn't even open a door right.  Nothing got done today, which means it all will roll over into tomorrow, which means I get to spend the rest of my afternoon, evening and night dreading tomorrow.  Nice.

The stuff I am trying to do is that stuff that all needs to be done ASAP;  Immunizations, college tuition, drivers licenses.  Important stuff.  But here's just a peek at what went down today {also add to the drama just how navigationally-inclined I most certainly am not}:

  • A drive to the college to be approved for in-state tuition, which ends on a good note - just get a PA driver's license for Elyssa and come back and we'll approve her!  We close at 4!  Success.
  • Which leads to a drive to the nearest licensing center in Downtown *OMG! {I am horrible on downtown streets}, to find parking and the right building and then find out - We Don't Accept Cash.  Money Order Only.  Seriously?  We need to find a bank right now!  Fail.
  • Which leads to a walk to the nearest bank in a fancy downtown building {trying to get back before our number is called} for a stupid money order.  We did it!  Success.
  • Which then leads to an hour of waiting at the licensing center, only to be finally told that we don't have all of the papers we need.  We are told we'll need to come back.  Fail.
  • Which leads to a walk back to the parking garage and a drive back home to get said paperwork.  New plan.  Go home, get paperwork, go to the licensing center near home, and drive back to the college just barely by 4. 
  • And then a surprise {which certainly deserves its own bullet point}!  Husband calls!  He will bring the paperwork from home to the licensing center!  He is magic!  We can still do this!  Success.
  • Enroute to licensing center, Elyssa's contact {the kind you wear on your eye to correct vision} malfunctions.  Upon further inspection, it has a hole in it.  Not good for vision-testing at drivers licensing centers.  We change route to home to pick up a new contact.  Fail.
  • Which leads to a call from Husband.  That licensing center is closed on Mondays.  Fail.  No, double fail.
I know this has got to be one of the most boring pieces you've read lately {or even ever}, but this is how every-other-day of my life is operating right now.  I'm hoping that this means tomorrow will be much better, what with the pattern and all, but I'm feeling a little discouraged.  Plus, Husband leaves tomorrow morning for the whole week.  So, it's just me.  On my own.  Accomplishing nothing at the slowest rate ever.  

Hip. Hip.


4 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, whatta day :( Keep in mind that some go this way and others, unexpectedly, go in the complete opposite direction. Having moved many, many times myself (military wife) my best advice is to put very, very little on your to do list each day. Do what you have to do to get the kids in school--anything else that gets done is a bonus. Do be sure to add those things you didn't expect to get done to the list just so you can cross them off and feel some sense of accomplishment. Once school starts and the kids are occupied for the day you can tackle the other stuff. I promise you all that stuff waiting in boxes to be unpacked, stored, hung on the wall, etc will wait. And if you wait you might actually like where you put it better than if you do it right now while you are hurrying. Unsolicited advice--take it or leave it but take it a step at a time and give yourself a big old break :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom! You are soooooo right! Unpacking can wait. Nothing is so urgent that it needs to cause such stress. I appreciate your empathetic words! You have no idea! :)

      Delete
  2. "We don't accept cash."? Seriously?? That is wacky. Why to BMV/DMV/Licensing Centers have to cause so much turmoil? When we moved here last year, I took the train all the way downtown to try and get my license all fixed up. I had all of the proper paperwork (or so I thought) from the approved list I found online. It came out to be something like 4 or 5 separate documents. I waited in line to BE APPROVED TO TAKE A NUMBER. Got my number. Got up to the counter...and was turned away because I didn't have my marriage license! No one has ever asked to see my marriage license for anything ever (besides needing it to actually get married). We're moving back to Ohio at the end of this month, so I get to do it all over again. Here's hoping it goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope it does go smoothly for you! And a marriage license? That is weird! I don't even know where exactly mine is, now that I think about it. :) I better look for it, just in case!

      Delete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...