Wednesday, September 5, 2012

a good day, all around.




Tuesday {yesterday} was hard, emotionally.  We had survived our first week back to school {getting up early, making lunches, adjusting to new routines, using our brains again, doing homework}, and then we survived a long Labor Day weekend of staying up later and venturing out on the town.  When Tuesday rolled around, we were still tired.  And our emotions were running on the highly sensitive setting.  In Pittsburgh, we have been back in school for a week now, but school just started on Tuesday for all of our friends in Spokane.  The Facebook was all abuzz with photos of our Spokane amigos, and as good as it was to see their faces and read their excited {and not so excited} statuses, it was kind of hard on my kids who would love to be there, feeling the excitement and familiarity with their friends.  They had once imagined themselves being in the next grade up at their previous schools, excited to reunite after a long summer.  And so as their friends exchanged class schedules online and talked about teachers, I'm sure it was easy to feel left out.  Forgotten.

Forgotten was the word that came out of Jackson's mouth.  How old and wise he is becoming.  Yet, if only he knew how terrifically unforgettable he really is.  Forgotten?  Impossible, I say.  That night before bed, I told the kids that tomorrow is a new day - a chance to start fresh!

And that's exactly what happened.

Today was a new day.  Today each of the kids came home smiling, with good news to share.  And they wanted to share it!  Like actually talk about it {teenagers talking about it!  do you even know how awesome that is???}!!!  Elyssa walked through the door beaming because she made two friends at school today!  TWO WHOLE FRIENDS.  It's not easy moving to a new city, enrolling as a college student, and meeting new people.  But she put herself out there and I am so happy for her.  Then Jackson came home to say he had the BEST CLASS EVER in social studies.  In fact, he wanted to wait until we were in the car so he could tell me the whole story while we drove.  And he was so excited to tell me everything and he was in such a silly mood.  And then McKenna was such a dear.  She offered to help me make dinner and so I put her to work.  I love these kids!

And me, I'm getting the hang of things around here.  It's quite an adjustment, going from non-stop-busy part-time teaching, full-time studenting, full-time parenting in Spokane {plus toss in a big stressful move} to suddenly finding myself with nothing but time in Pittsburgh.  There have been some days that I've felt lost.  Lonely.  Quiet.  I've felt like I could be doing so much more.  I've felt guilty.  But I needn't feel any of those things.  This is my time to enjoy making our house a home, to be there for my children 100%, and to figure things out for myself.  Come winter, I'll be back in school chipping away at my degree, making plans for student-teaching.  This is the calm before the storm and I just need to roll with it and enjoy it every bit of the way.

Today was a new day, indeed.  And tomorrow will be another one.


5 comments:

  1. Stop! You are making my eyes leak? So happy to hear this day went extremely well! You are all unforgettable we think of you all the time. Day by day the area, home, schools, people, and the kids at school will get more familiar, it just takes a little time!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know. Each day is getting better and better. :) Sorry for causing an eye leak!

      Delete
  2. The last paragraph felt like you could read my mind. I went from busy to quiet. I'm really trying to embrace it! It is nice just sooooo different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice, isn't it? I just need to embrace it! I can't seem to relax though. I just keep finding rooms to paint. :)

      Delete
  3. So sorry that the kids felt like they had been forgotten. At least from our family, your family has been thought of often. We talked about how the Bennett kids had already been in school for a week now. Please reassure them that they definitely have not been forgotten. You all have been missed. I am glad they had a better day.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...