Wednesday, October 17, 2012

a super surprise family tradition.


Yep, that's a picture of a festive plate full of half-eaten supper {teriyaki chicken, rice, veggies and bread - oh yum}.  Husband and I have a tradition of hiding surprises under the kids' plates.  For this time around, I wanted to be extra fun and made a run to Target for these terrifically spooky skeleton plates.  We put the surprises in envelopes and taped them to the underside of each plate.  We can't just set things under the plates anymore because sometimes a kid will get a funny idea to do some wishful thinking and peek under their plate at random.  These are smarty-pants youngsters we are raising, so taping is mandatory.  We had no clue how we were going to make the surprise announcement, but Elyssa saved the day when she said that we needed to take a picture of the plates.  I grabbed my camera and started clicking.  And then I asked them each to hold up their plates so I could see them better and then I encouraged them to hold their plates above their heads.  And then I said, "Look up at your plate!"  Jackson pretty much knew right away what was happening.  Elyssa took her sweet time getting it.  But everyone was happy in the end.






You're probably dying to know what was in those envelopes {no, it wasn't Disneyland tickets - boohoo} and I'll just say it was a little cash incentive.  These kids earn a regular allowance, so that they can learn about saving & spending and all that jazz, and every once in a random while they receive a surprise bonus.  And as you can tell by the looks on their faces, it's a welcome surprise.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I was so impressed with Husband's ability to set the table {even though he did have to google where the silverware is properly placed}, that I instagramed his good job.  So, now you have an opportunity to see the cute Halloween plates {from Target} without the food mess...



He did very well indeed.  :)

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I just joined as a "follower" but I've been reading your blogs for ages now, and I think your family dynamic is just awesome. You guys all seem to get along so well!

    I used to read your other blog, An Unpretentious Teacher, all the time. I loved every one of your outfits! But now it says the site is blocked to anyone who hasn't been invited. I know you stopped adding to it but I'd love to have access to the archives for outfit ideas. Any way you'd send an "invite?" Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so happy you asked! Made my day!! And I just made Unpretentious Teacher open to the public again. I hadn't thought that anyone might still want to check in on that thing, but I am happy to know it has been useful. :)

      Delete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...