Wednesday, November 28, 2012

decking the halls in the family room.


This is the most-used room in the house.  The TV + the large sectional and ottoman + the fireplace + being conveniently located next to the kitchen + old-school TV trays = a much-loved family room. Since we spend most of our winter evenings {when we aren't busy with basketball games & practices} curled up in this room, I crammed in as much Christmas stuff in here as possible.  I absolutely love to submerge myself in holiday lights.  I'm not satisfied until the blur of twinkly lights is in my peripheral vision at all times. This room completes me.  :)




My mom made the stockings years ago and our mantel wouldn't be the same without them.  Wasn't that sweet of her?  




I cut pages out of a cute Christmas book, to add to frames throughout the house.  I taped each page to a square of burlap, enclosed it in a frame, and voila!




My sweet mama also gifted us the advent calendar quilt below {awesome}!!  I have always put various candies in it, for the kids to countdown to Christmas.  This year though, I am trying something new and I am really excited about it!  Each pocket is filled with a holiday activity, so we can really get into the spirit as a family and as givers.  *A list of our activities can be found at the end of the post!






 -----------------------------------------------------

Also, the tree skirt above was made by me.  I'm no seamstress, but I can figure out a sewing machine alright.  This was so super simple.  I used wool felt and faux fur trim {the stuff is expensive so find a coupon, like I did}.  I made two; one for the family room and a smaller one for a skinny tree in the entryway.  It took me like 30 minutes because of the darn pinning {and repetitive needle-poking of my fingers}.  Thimble shmimble.



That's where it all happens in this house!

*And now here's that advent activity list I promised you...

Decorate a gingerbread house!
Write a letter to Santa!
Shop for a toy to donate to an organization!
Be helpful to a friend today!
Make paper snowflakes for the windows!
Have a candlelight dinner!
Pop popcorn and watch Elf!
Make a snow globe tree ornament!
Visit the holiday tree at PPG place!
Stamp and mail our Christmas cards!
Make fudge!
Do something nice for someone today!
Make a popcorn garland!
Look at Christmas lights!
Make hot cocoa and watch Polar Express!!
Make Christmas cookies for Dad’s work!
Make gifts/cards for teachers!
Make Christmas cookies for the neighbors!
Make a Christmas card for the mailman!
Sit on Santa’s lap at Macy’s in NYC!
Shop for and wrap gift for Dad!
Bundle up and go for a neighborhood walk in the dark!
Watch a Christmas movie on a train!
Ask Dad to read The Night Before Christmas!
Open presents!

DIY Show Off DIY Holiday Highlights


5 comments:

  1. seriously love everything you did! I LOVE that christmas quilt! I can't wait to have my own one day with my children.

    LOVE LOVE LOVVVVE your deocorative ideas! great job:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's amazing how much one collects over the years, especially with children!

      Delete
  2. your blog is snowing! and your christmas decor is out of this world! you have some seriously skills girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was sweet of her!! You'll always treasure those, I'm sure.

    I love how you framed the page from a Christmas book...very clever.

    That tree skirt is so, so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...