Saturday, November 17, 2012

elyssa's pageant: day one


Since our move to Pittsburgh, it's like Elyssa {in even her own words} is an entirely different person.  She has taken the move across the country in quite the adventurous way - beginning a new college, making amazing new friends, joining the college basketball team {for her first time playing basketball ever}, and then deciding to compete, this weekend, in the Miss Teen Pittsburgh pageant.  This morning she had her private interview with the panel of judges, which was the first portion of the contest, and she feels like she nailed it {wahoo!}!!!  Tomorrow she will have to strut her stuff {or just try to walk as normally as possible across the stage in heels} while wearing a) a casual outfit of her choosing that represents who she is and b) a formal gown {found on clearance at JCP - wahoo again!}.  And that's it!  






When Elyssa first approached me about the pageant, I admit I was a little hesitant.  I'm just not a pageant mom.  Although I could watch Dance Moms and Honey Boo Boo all day long, it's mostly because I just don't understand the culture of it and it's never boring to watch a train wreck, right?  But honestly, the thought of my own daughters being judged on their outward appearance {especially while only wearing a swimsuit} doesn't sit right with me.  Sure, they look cute in swimsuits, but there is sooooooooooooooooooooo much more to them than that.  Well, apparently Pittsburgh feels the same as I do!  This pageant is more about the inside beauty, but also how the girls present themselves outwardly.  No swimsuit portion.  And you should see all of the girls who are competing!  It truly is a diverse group of young women and I am proud of my daughter for being a part of it.  Win or lose, she just wants to try something new!  She's just there as herself and hopefully making a new friend or two.  

So tomorrow is pageant day {all day}!  I'm looking forward to being being her hair & makeup mom, which is a new experience for me too.  Who knows, perhaps I will even make a new friend in the process!

Wish Elyssa luck tomorrow!!!


2 comments:

  1. Wishing her all the luck in the world, but based on your description she won't need it. Regardless she's already a winner and wonderful example to us all! YOu must be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind words! We are soooo proud of her for even trying. It takes big guts, that's for sure! I appreciate you taking the time to comment. :)

      Delete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...