Monday, November 26, 2012

entryway mini-makeover.


Sometimes it's simply the small things that make such a difference, isn't it?  Even the subtle details can make a house feel more like a home.  Case in point: our entryway.  Our Entryway.  I love saying that!  In our previous homes, our front door opened straight into the living room, with no specific area to remove coats and shoes or dump school backpacks {but, you make do with what you've got - and I did and we got by just fine}.  However, now we have this wonderful entryway {!!!!} and I think I've finally got it just right.  It's been a journey {yes - even this small, little, tiny, wee transformation}.  It is my first entryway and I really didn't know what to do with it.  At first I wanted it CLEAN and free of clutter.  It is after all, the first thing company sees when they walk through the door.  But guess what???  It was never clean!  The kids walk through the front door everyday and what do they do?  Toss their backpacks, coats, and shoes onto the floor and head to the snack drawer.  And what did I do everyday?  Hang their coats in the closet, and toss their backpacks and shoes into their bedrooms.  It was a constant battle and I was LOSING bad.  And I can only handle so much repetition before I start to go nuts.  Compromise.  That's what I needed.  After four months of living in this house, without a single solitary soul coming to our front door of whom I cared to impress with such a clean, organized entryway, I decided it was time to get real.  We LIVE here.  And LIVING is busy, messy work.  It was time for me to embrace the backpacks, coats and shoes, and create a purposeful place to house those things!   A beautiful, bare wall instead filled with lots of coat hooks and photos?  Awesome!  A boot tray to catch the children's shoes?  Sweet!  A mirror for quick checks before opening the door?  You betcha!
And then there's that perfect spot for our skinny fake of a Christmas tree {I knew that would go there when we moved in, back in July}!













 ---------------------------------------------

Here are a couple of "before" and "after" shots, just so you can see how very little I actually did.
But, what a difference in real-life.





I know how silly it sounds to think a coat rack can make such a difference, but for some reason it does. Our entryway now says, "Come on in, hang up your coat, and stay a while why don'tcha?"  And I am willing to admit {with only slight hesitation} that a fair amount of organized clutter is home for me.

Mirror - Home Depot - $35.00
Boot tray - Target - $19.99
Coat Hook Rail - Target - $21.99 each


16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! It definitely makes things easier!

      Delete
  2. Good afternoon Misty, I understand how frustrated you felt about your hallway until you gave into it's true meaning. You are right, a home is a place where we live and not a show home for people to visit. You have embraced what a hallway truly is... a place where we hang our coats when we come home. You have made your hallway look so inviting, I would love to step through your front door and visit. I have found you via Kathryn at The Dedicated House. I have enjoyed my visit and have become a new follower. I am sending you best wishes from England and look forward to getting to know you. Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Daphne! Well said! I would love for you to visit! Although it would be even more fun to visit you in England! I could spend the rest of my life in England. :)
      I'm so happy you found me!

      Delete
  3. great job as usual - whenever we get ready to get this place done - I'm calling you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, but do you seriously think I'd get any work done? I think I'd be dragging you out to show me how you get such great shopping deals!

      Delete
  4. This looks awesome! Well done! When we moved into this house, about 3 1/2 years ago, it was my first home with an entryway so I know how excited you felt. The funny thing is that my husband and I are empty nesters...and there is still a lot of "stuff" in the entryway. You won't be sorry you made these changes and even if the queen of England comes the door it looks terrific--enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure that even the coat hooks will overflow someday soon and the boot tray will house many little objects besides shoes. :) "Stuff" just happens, doesn't it? I'm learning to embrace it!

      Delete
  5. The entry way looks great! The coat hooks look like they were meant for that space and your photography is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom! Don't the coat hooks look great? They are already coming in handy!

      Delete
  6. the changes look great. I love it when a little facelift helps control the clutter of everyday living. Love the new look of the blog too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can handle clutter as long as it's somewhat organized. :)

      Delete
  7. Love your entry way mini makeover! Loving all of the hooks that will hold so much! I have 3m hooks in my laundry room but I have been eyeing a coat hook rail myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has already come in handy, just having easy access to winter coats! I also have hooks in the laundry room, but they seems to stay empty. I think we avoid that room so we don't get stuck folding clothes. :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. What a warm and cozy entryway! Beautiful! I'm so glad to be your newest follower, I love your blog:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how you "redecorated" your entryway! Always amazing how a few key changes can make a space feel wonderful!

    brenna

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...