Friday, November 30, 2012

how to float your kids in soap for christmas.


I made these last year to give as Christmas gifts {but this little blog was not born at that time} so I thought I'd share now!  What kid wouldn't want to see themselves floating in a bottle of soap?  Hey, I even want to float in one!  Below is the story of both how not to make one and how to make one.  I tend to learn the hard way.

Without further ado....

-------------------------------------------------------

I seriously thought I had failed this homemade gift {found on Pinterest, of course} and I was so close to posting my failure.  I had even titled the post how not to float your kids in soap.  My last photo was of my kids floating at the bottom of a soap bottle.  Ah geez, let me just show you real quick...


Nailed it.  Not.  Poor kids.

But I didn't give up.  I was determined to get this right.  I'll take you through the process, so you can hopefully learn from my mistakes.  First I got the soap bottles...


Then I took pictures of my children, each doing poses they might do under water.  I copied the photos into MS Word, resized them to fit inside the bottle, saved the document on a flash drive, took it into the Fed Ex copy shop and asked them to print it onto transparency paper....


Then I cut out the transparent kids.  Here's where I erred.  I cut them too small, so when I placed them into the soap bottle, they just drifted ever-so-slowly to the bottom.  It was sad.  


So then I got out Mr. Laminator and ran those little kids through...


Cut them out a bit larger...


And put them back in the bottles.  Perfect.  They stay put.




Cute, right?  Then I used nail polish remover to erase the markings on the bottle.  Worked like a charm...


And then they were done!


Nailed it.

As well as an awesome stocking stuffer, this would also make a great gift children could make for doting grandparents and aunties!


DIY Show Off

7 comments:

  1. hahah that is so cute!! i bet your kids are so thrilled when they saw it :)

    awesome idea!
    huggies***
    rea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids loved them and so did the grandparents!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! My daughter would go nuts if she saw her picture in the soap. Ha! I'll be linking up with you tomorrow!

    Oh, I nominated you for the Liebster Blog award! I'd love it if you'd pop over and check it out! http://pikesplaceblog.blogspot.com/2012/11/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! Thank you! On my way over right now!!!

      Delete
  3. Ha! lol I was cracking up at your title. ;) This is such a fantastic idea. I love the way they turned out. I may have to do this...soon. :)

    Thank you so much for sharing!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely say the grandparents LOVED them...cause we are some of the grandparents! Thank you Misty for the directions!

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...