Thursday, December 13, 2012

a christmas surprise from mckenna + 13th post link-up.

























Earlier this week, Husband and I came home from a much-needed date night to find the above note taped to the door.  We opened it up and found McKenna standing at the kitchen table, smiling from ear to ear.  While we were gone, she had arranged the table into three different stations, each with an activity from our advent/activity calendar that we hadn't been able to work on yet.  At station number one - letter writing to Santa.  At station number two - popcorn thingy {garland}.  And at station number three - snowflake making.  It was a wonderful surprise!  As a mom, I try to come up with activities that I think the kids will enjoy, but sometimes it feels like I'm just making them do things that I like.  Tonight it was reassuring to know that these activities are important to the kids too and they actually like doing them.











































Now, let me just say that although we worked for a long time on each of these projects that night, we did not get them all finished in one evening!  Can you even imagine???  First off, popcorn garlands are not an easy endeavor, nor a non-messy one.  That was a three-day job, at least!  And cutting paper snowflakes {when you get an idea to put one on EVERY window pane} can seem pretty monotonous.   That's 30 snowflakes!  We used plain old white printer paper to cut those things and since you need a perfect square, that left a small strip of paper that I just couldn't let go to waste.  Um, hello!  When did I become so environmentally friendly?  So I found my handy scrapbooking circle punch, punched tons of white dots, sewed them together and made some nifty snowflake garlands for the front windows.  Sewing paper?  My craftiness is showing.


And now if you're still game, feel free to link up your 13th post ever!  When I first started this little linky party thingy, I had no idea how crazy-busy life was going to get as we close in on Christmas.  Life feels very hectic and my to-do list seems to get longer the more I get accomplished.  How does that even happen?  All I'm saying is that I completely understand if you're too busy to link up.  Don't worry about it.  Just go and enjoy the holiday season.  That's what's most important.  I'll still be here plugging away, hosting the link-up, and reading the wonderful posts.  So stop by when you can.  


5 comments:

  1. I remember doing things like that when I was a kid. Some of them (making snowflakes, and we always made smores in the oven) are some of my favorite, cherished memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. That is so sweet! I love McKenna's note :)

    I'm going back through and catching up with the link-up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so, so sweet of her! And your snowflake strands looks gorgeous and very, very crafty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. THis is so cute! I just found your awesome blog! Your style rocks.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...