Thursday, December 6, 2012

a funny little story about this girl.




















Allow me to set the stage...

Yesterday evening was a stressor involving Husband in a car accident on his way home from work {he is totally okay but his car is just plain totaled}, while I was at home trying to get the kids quickly fed before heading to yet another basketball game located in the middle of nowhere.  Plans had to change immediately, of course, and the children had to be told about the accident, which is never not scary news to break, even though the outcome was a good one.  We pulled together as a team {one thing this family can really do well} and big sister took little sister to her game, while the boy and I went to rescue a stranded, freezing-cold dad.  We all managed to make it to the game and then make it home safely, only to run straight to the kitchen to shove the long-awaited-room-temperature-dinner into our faces.  And so, of course, as all of this chaos ensues, the doorbell rings and it's our next door neighbor bringing over Steeler's tickets for Husband and Jackson {yes, they have finally decided to become fans}.  So, we welcome him in, I stop shoving fistfuls of chicken and macaroni into my face, and we all have a stand-around chat, which leads into the topic of our near-future venture to NYC for some holiday cheer and how we're going to fly there and take the 9-hour {yes, she just said NINE hour} train ride back.  Well, Mr. Neighbor just thought we were nuts, I could totally tell, but he was nice about it.  We talked about how many movies we could watch...yada, yada, yada... and how trains are so "Christmas-y"...blah, blah, blah... and then he asks McKenna if she's excited about it and she volunteers very honestly, "No!  I was NEVER excited about a NINE HOUR train ride!  I wanted to fly both ways!"  And all we could really do after that was have a good, hard, much-needed laugh.

We just love that little girl.
And train rides, apparently.


12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a VERY eventful day. And by eventful, I don't mean in the nice, Christmasy sort of mood, but kind of in the Hurried, point A to Point B way when you forgot your purse at home but need to buy things. I am glad you handle that so well! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was definitely eventful, but much to be thankful for!

      Delete
  2. Oh NO!! I'm so sorry about the accident Misty, but very glad everyone is OK!!

    p.s. HUGE Steelers fans in our house!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I am sure once we get a little more settled into Pittsburgh, we will be huge Steelers fans too!

      Delete
  3. Ah, the honesty of children! I'm glad she gave you a laugh after a stressful day. I'm so glad your husband is okay, that had to scary/stressful. I think a nine-hour train ride does seem kind of fun and Christmas-y! You can bring a thermos of hot cocoa and pretend it's the Polar Express. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids say the darndest things, don't they? We'll need lots of hot cocoa for that train ride! :)

      Delete
  4. Yikes! Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad your mister is ok.

    Heh...I'm with McKenna! Early in our marriage, my husband and I decided to take a trip to NYC via train. "It'll be romantic! Just like they traveled in our favorite classic movies!!" we thought. The train arrived 2 hours late for us to board. Because freight trains take precedence over passenger trains here, the whole trip there took something like 16 hours. We were not amused.

    That being said, taking the train back from NYC to Pittsburgh probably won't be so bad. Trains arrive mostly on time for boarding in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is hilarious! Ever since Husband and I have started telling people, we've heard nothing but how much longer than 9 hours this train ride will take. It is going to be an interesting experience, to say the least. And you can bet I'll be blogging about it. :) I just hope we aren't on board for 16 hours. I don't know you survived! LOL

      Delete
  5. Close enough. xD
    But, actually, what happened was, Mr. Neighbor said something along the lines of, "Sorry, I'm being so negative about the train ride. I'm sure it will be fun!" Then McKenna: "Oh, don't worry! I was never excited about going on that long train ride in the first place." [Insert rim shot here]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You win! Next time I'm coming to you for help! Either that, or I can continue to make stuff up. Lol! :)
      Love ya! And it's just an honor really, to have you comment on da blog. :)

      Delete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...