Friday, December 21, 2012

the time we went to see the rockettes and i failed at hailing a taxi cab.




































It turns out that hailing a NYC cab is not as cut and dry as it seems.  I am pretty sure there is an art to it. I am also fairly certain that I will never develop that art.  First of all, there are red signs along almost every street that say, "No Standing At All Times."  What does that mean?  We sort of have to stand there to wave for a taxi.  And what's with all the cabs passing by completely oblivious to me standing out near the street, waving like a fool?  What about four girls standing on the street waving like fools?  Are we waving wrong?  Is there cab etiquette?  Do we not look intense or needy enough?  Do we need to appear more confident?  Well, whatever I was doing wrong, it cost us a 15 block walk back to the hotel.  In the freezing cold.  Little girl was not happy.  She was frozen.  The older girls were quite entertaining though, I must say.

...and on a much merrier note, the Radio City Rockettes Holiday Spectacular was pretty much the coolest.  It celebrates all things Christmas in New York and I can see why it has become such an annual tradition.  It was way more than just high kicks.  It was dancing and singing and story-telling and the 3-D effects were amazing and fun for the kids.  The nativity scene at the end was pretty awesome too.  My kids are at ages where they're not easy to please all at the same time.  They are completely bored by most broadway shows {except the really good ones like Wicked, Mama Mia, and Lion King}.  Not even Spiderman could entertain the boy {there's something about a singing/dancing Spidey that doesn't line up with a young boys childhood imagination, I guess}.  But after tonight's Rockettes show, that boy looked at me and said he really liked it.  I may not be able to hail a cab, but I sure can pick a show.






7 comments:

  1. Nice blog

    Join our shabby apple giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Misty, You are really celebrating in style....London taxi's are the same, there is a knack to hailing a taxi.....but I haven't found it yet. Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I've been to NY once, and it was a scary experience! (I'm a small town girl! All those buildings!!) I've never hailed a cab, but I bet I would suck at it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sign means that *cars* can't stand, i.e. park/idle. People are allowed to stand and hail cabs wherever. Just stand at the edge of the sidewalk and put your arm out. When the sign on top of the cab is lit, the cab is available. If it's out, the cab is in use. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes so much more sense! Thanks for taking the time to explain! Someday I'll catch on. I'm not the quickest. :)

      Delete
  5. Hope it helped you avoid another chilly walk! Your blog is fun to read--found you through Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real on Like Mother, Like Daughter. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you're desperate for a cab in NYC in the future, you should try the Uber app. I'm not sure how it works there, but in Chicago it was whatever your fare was + $7 ($14 if you wanted a limo). Totally worth it if you're freezing!! More details: https://www.uber.com/cities/new-york-city#cities

    (I don't work for them. I just enjoyed their service when I lived in the city!)

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...