Monday, December 31, 2012

to fresh clean starts.









The ornaments have been removed from the once-fresh-now-brittle Christmas trees and are ready to be put into boxes and stored for next year.  This was our first Christmas in years that we purchased real live trees and I had forgotten just how fun it is to clean up after those things.  Needles, needles everywhere.  But so worth it, am I right?  The funny thing is, if you had asked me just yesterday if I wanted to put away Christmas, I would have said NO WAY!  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  I'M NOT READY.  I THINK I'LL KEEP IT UP ALL WINTER!  IT'S TOO SOON!!!  CHRISTMAS FOREVER!  Yet I woke up this morning and reality hit when I looked at our sad, little, mopey trees - the ornaments drooping off the ends of the downward-sloped branches, little bits of branches and needle-clumps scattered on the floor beneath.  It was time.  So the ornaments came down, the lights came off, the tree skirts were folded, the trees were carried out back, and the hardened cat turd that was exposed in the process was swept up and tossed along with the millions of pine needles.

And guess what?  I had been so afraid of what the empty house would look like without all the twinkly lights and holiday decor, but I didn't need to worry at all.  It looks MARVELOUS!  CLEAN!  FRESH!  NEW!  A fresh clean start to the New Year!  Not such a bad thing after all.  Like a fresh layer of snow that simplifies and tidies the landscape, I forget just how calming and good simplicity can be.  A mantel that just yesterday was crammed gorgeously with pine garland, twinkle lights, pinecones, candles, a Santa, a book, a framed picture, a snowman face, and a wreath can be just as beautiful in its sparseness.  I look forward to arranging decor back into nice clean lines and getting organized this week.

For New Year's Eve, we'll celebrate the start of the new year quietly at home, watching the Times Square action on East Coast time for our first time ever.  It's just how we do.  Food, television, and more food.  Wherever you are in the world, Happy New Year to you!  Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by here and peek in on me!  You make this girl feel like a million bucks!


1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say I love your new blog design :) Enjoy your freshly cleaned house. :P Mine needs help!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...