Friday, December 14, 2012

trying to keep the spirit + 15th post link up.



There are no words to express my sadness for the families of those little angels lost today in Connecticut.  My words seem so small.
Heartbreaking.

This week has been a difficult one.  First, a shooting at the mall in Clackamas, Oregon, a short 10 minute drive from my childhood home, where my family still resides.  In fact, my mom and my brother's girlfriend had just been inside that mall only an hour before the shooting and were thankfully safely across the street having lunch when the cops arrived on the scene.  They both would have been inside the mall had they followed their original plans.  I texted my mom as soon as I saw the news update flash on my phone.  I had to make sure she was safe.  It's Christmas and I knew she would be at the mall.  Getting her reply was the biggest sigh of relief.

But then today.  Another tragedy.  Children.  Teachers.  So many of them gone.  Senseless.  

It's getting harder to keep the Christmas spirit.  The tinsel, the stockings, the gifts.  I'd gladly give it all up to have those families reunited with their little children.  But it doesn't work that way, does it?  And so as a parent, I have to forge ahead with the holidays and continue to make Christmastime spectacular, even with this heavy heart.  Because the truth is, we only have the present.  There are no guarantees for tomorrow.  And right now I want my children to know how special they are and how wonderful life can be.  I want them to never ever have one single doubt that they are loved.  They have worth.  They are valued.  No matter how hard or unfair life can be, it can also be good and kind and hopeful.

My 15th post ever comes at a fitting time, as it has to do with me embracing the chaos of my life last year and choosing to be happy.  What were you talking about in your 15th blog post?  



5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I didn't even realize the mall shooting took place near your childhood home! Glad your mom and your brother's girlfriend changed their plans. I was so shocked when I heard about what happened today. I couldn't help but think about all of my teacher friends and their students. What the heck is going on in this world??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been really struggling with it as well. those poor babies and their hard working teachers. its awful and I don't know how this could ever happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are in my prayers. And all children also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Evening Misty, I am so sorry I have not been commenting, but my daughter travelled back home to India on Thursday and I feel so sad......but my sadness is nothing compared to the families who have been robbed of their children and the wonderful teachers who have lost their lives. This is so senseless. My thoughts and prayers are with all the families. I am so pleased your mother and your brother's girlfriend are safe and sound, this must be such a relief for you. Take care, Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, so scary about your Ma. It is beyond sad. As someone who went to college to be a teacher, one who taught kindergarten and a teacher of my own kids, my heart aches for the dedicated folks who gave their lives. And the children, I can't even think about it - only pray. Our nation needs to turn to God.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...