Sunday, January 13, 2013

game day doughnuts go boom.

After I posted a photo of my beautifully hand-crafted doughnuts on Facebook {I like to rub in my successes, don't you}, Carleigh commented something sassy about didn't I know they sell donuts at the grocery store blah, blah, blah.  And yes, of course I know that, but wow! what a fun, learning experience with my daughter I would have missed out on, if I hadn't been so stuck on the idea that I was going to make these things.  Oh, the patience we also learned!  Like when I had to throw out the first batch because of some missing sugar {my bad} and when we realized we were going to be asked to wait 8-12 hours while the dough refrigerated, another 2 hours while the dough sat at room temperature, and another 2 hours after cutting them into circles.  Geez.  So, what started on a Friday night finally came to a successful halt on a Sunday morning.  

Friday night:




Saturday Morning:


The rest of Saturday is not photographed, as after putting them in the hot oil, we soon discovered that the sugar had not been added during the mixing process.  It was awful.  It was sad and awful.  All that work, all that mess.  Plus the taste was not something I'll soon forget.  I imagine that a spoonful of yeast might taste just the same.  But I'm no quitter sometimes.  I removed all of the ingredients from the cupboards and began again.  The sugar made it in this time!  And so we waited again for all of the refrigerating and rising for hours and hours until...

Sunday Morning:




Donut success!  The recipe I followed is from Ree Drummond's The Pioneer Woman Cooks and it is yummy!  Much patience is required, but it's worth it.  If I do ever try this again though, I prefer my doughnuts a little sweeter {although the glaze provides lots of sweet}, so I'll try adding a little more sugar maybe {?}.  If you have any recommendations, of course I'd love to hear, as we know I'm a complete kitchen novice.

Go Seahawks!!!

5 comments:

  1. You've inspired me to get crackin' on these! My family is craving donuts...and by my family I mean me.

    Ok to splurge today right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My can you mail me some? Not one but some!!! They look delicious and you are right it is the time spent with the children is the most important part of time spent in the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My can you mail me some? Not one but some!!! They look delicious and you are right it is the time spent with the children is the most important part of time spent in the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that you guys finally did it! I would have given up and gone to the store, but I bet yours were so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Moley girl! You are ambitious!! And persistent. Good for you. I'm glad you were able to stick it out and come out successful. Powerful lesson for daughie too.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...