Friday, January 11, 2013

giving an old trunk modern flair.

I've got a lot of photos for one trunk, but I'm a first timer with this spray painting furniture activity, so it's like my baby and I'm feeling like I need to show it off a little {mostly because I can't believe I didn't screw it up}.  I decided to do this trunk "a solid" {oh my gosh I'm hilarious} and just stick with one color throughout.  I did not paint the leather handles and I love that although the trunk looks funky now in bold teal, there is still a touch of old.  

What I learned:
>>One whole can of spray paint was able to coat this large trunk.
>>Spray paint creates colored dust that settles on all things in the surrounding area.  You can imagine my dismay at the sight of blue everything.
>>Spraying outdoors or in a garage would be best if the temperature allows.
>>Don't spray too close to your object as drips can form.
>>If you wipe a drip, your finger will be blue for two days.
>>If you get two big bright teal paint spots on the carpet and panic that your husband is going to kill you because you always do these crazy things while he's out of town, you're wasting your time with a cotton ball and nail polish remover.  Saturating the stain with heavy duty carpet cleaner is a time-waster as well.  What works marvelously is pacing back and forth, cursing under your breath a few times, praying to Heaven above, and then having an ah-ha moment in which you desperately grab the Goo Gone, march downstairs, spray the heck out of the carpet, and then scrub-a-dub-dub the area with a towel.  It works, people!  There is no sign that I ever sprayed the carpet!  I will live to see another day!!!!

Ok, shushing up now.  Go see some photos...













Nice, huh???  This basement space is designated for the kids, so even though I like making it pretty and inviting for them, there's just going to be those things like basketball hoops on the wall. In the video below, you can get a glimpse of the trunk before I painted it, as well as my kids in action...

 

 Ok!  What should I paint next???

PS.  Thanks Jim & Heidi for the electronic basketball hoops!  The kids love them!

16 comments:

  1. I used that exact same "lagoon" color spray paint to paint a cupboard at my house. And I carried the cupboard outdoors first...getting spray paint all over the grass is a little less stressful, but I'm glad to hear that you solved the carpet problem! Goo-gone is a miracle worker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a pretty color for cupboards! Yes, thank goodness for Goo Gone! I'd be so upset. :(

      Delete
  2. Ooooo, love, love, love. I'm going to repin this! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! It came out so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job! love those b-ball hoops too, my kids would love those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out SOOO cute! I love the color you used too...perfect!
    Jenni
    www.foundinmycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do love the color!
      Hey, also - thanks for adding me to your sidebar. I am getting a crazy amount of traffic from you and I totally appreciate it!
      xoxo
      Misty

      Delete
  6. The trunk looks so cute! I never would have thought of doing something so simple like that to change it around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so easy! Now I'm just worried I'm going to go around painting everything. :)
      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. Love teal or aqua with red!

    ReplyDelete
  8. loooove it! I just got teal paint to paint up some things like frames and such. I die for your target owl pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty! I just spray painted my giant black metal filing cabinet at school over the break. Now it's a lovely aqua blue color to maych my bulletin board backgrounds. :) Hooray for spray paint!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You spray painted inside? Eeeeeek! I would get shot if I painted inside - too messy! Or maybe I just dont know how to control a spray can properly! This looks fanastic by the way, love the colour you've given it a new lease of life. Very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK so the first thing I said to myself when I saw this was..."holy crap! She spraypainted inside?! On carpet?! Yikes!" LOL :) It turned out great! I love the turquoise and how you kept the leather handle covered. And where did you get the cute owl pillow on the chair? Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I am not sure where my common sense went during the decision to paint indoors. :) I got soooo lucky I didn't ruin anything! The cute owl pillow you asked about is from an Etsy shop called The Burlap Pumpkin. It came with a removable santa hat. :) Link below!

      http://www.etsy.com/listing/116345141/christmas-polka-dot-owl-pillow-with

      Delete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...