Wednesday, February 6, 2013

how i married your father.



I'm fascinated by love stories that begin in ways like, "We were married after only knowing each other for three months. We just knew." Perhaps it's because it takes a fair amount of throwing caution to the wind kind of bravery to engage in such an activity.  It certainly suggests more than an adequate amount of trust, passion, lightheartedness, luck and yes, even stupidity. I mean, come on, making a decision to spend the rest of your life with someone you barely know? It seems like a dumb idea. It's not something I would recommend to my own children. Yet here I am. Happily married to a man who walked into my life 14 years ago and whom I married after 7 months of knowing.  We just knew.  Plus we were pregnant, and well, that moves things along now, doesn't it?  Regardless, it's the best quickest decision I have ever made.

After meeting in July, Husband and I had a beautiful, romantic summer together to fall head over heels.  I fell hard.  I was the first one to say "I love you," after doing cartwheels on the beach.  No kidding.  I was also the first one to reach right up and kiss that guy.  I don't waste any time, I guess.  I admittedly was also the first one to break wind in front of him, but that was totally unintentional and completely embarrassing.  Did you hear that?  Anyway, I probably should have been more careful with my feelings, but I wasn't.  My heart was just open and free and I wasn't afraid to put myself out there.  I couldn't help myself with that man.  He made me giddy.

The marriage proposal came fairly early in our courtship.  It almost came earlier, but I blew that one big-time.  The missed-opportunity-marriage proposal was supposed to occur during intermission of Broadway's musical Rent.  We were all dressed up, feeling fancy, and out on the town.  We had just watched the first half of the musical and we were sitting in our seats when Husband asked me over and over again if I needed to use the restroom.  I turned him down repetitively.  I have the bladder of a camel.  I don't have to go.  Well, my loss because that man had planned to propose to me out there in the lobby.  I was crushed when I found out.  I thought I missed my chance.  That would have been romantic, I'm positive.  If only I'd had to pee.  Poor Husband too.  Obviously, I had another chance at a proposal.  That man stuck with me in spite of my stubbornness.  A couple weeks later we were at my apartment, we weren't dressed up, we had no audience when he proposed.  It was perfect.  It was a promise that came at a time when I was really going to need him.  I was pregnant.

Engaged, pregnant and suddenly sicker than a dog {thank you, morning sickness}, it made sense to exchange our separate apartments for one larger apartment to share.  So we did.  And in February, on Valentine's Day, Husband and I eloped to Las Vegas and very nervously {but mostly excitedly} tied the knot with an Elvis look-alike as our master of ceremony.  It was cheesy.  It was fun.  We had no idea what we were doing, but we didn't care.  We just held hands, smiled and jumped in.  I knew I was going to be alright, as long as he was with me.  There are some things in my life that I'd love a chance to redo, but not our wedding.  It was just us, doing our own thing in a rented tuxedo and an inexpensive dress from JC Penney.  It was a morning ceremony at the Excalibur, a lunch date at Hard Rock Cafe and a day spent walking the strip in our wedding attire.  Doors were opened for us, strangers congratulated us, and Cher's Do You Believe seemed to be playing everywhere we went.  It was awesome.  It was us.  And oh my gosh, we look so young!

If you missed the first two parts of the story, part one here and part two here!


11 comments:

  1. it's been fun reading your "love" story!! You will have your 14th on the 14th - I'm sure you've thought about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly hadn't even thought about that! Thanks!!

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's quite the story! It's too bad you didn't get your first proposal. My parents eloped, too. But not in Vegas, just quickly with a judge where they lived. I'm also always fascinated by the speedy love stories. I've always felt that our 8 months from courtship to marriage was intolerably long. Of course, in my case, we were friends before that and he had a girlfriend the first year and a half that I knew him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, shucks about missing the first time! But I still got him in the end. :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful story! And seriously your youngest daughter looks EXACTLY like you in your wedding pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even noticed, but you're right! We look so much alike! :)

      Delete
  4. It has been so fun reading your love story the last few days! You two make a darling couple. The pictures of your wedding are great! My own 14th anniversary is coming up in April~ it's amazing how fast time has gone by and how much life has changed. We eloped too, and I've never regretted it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time has flown by, I agree! 14 years? The next 14 years better not go as quickly. I just want to soak in every moment!

      Delete
  5. I love this story it is so freaking adorable.
    After 11 months of wedding planning I wish for nothing more than to just go off to Vegas and elope.

    You guys are adorable and congrats on your anniversary! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but there is nothing like a big, beautiful wedding! Just enjoy your special day. I had a big wedding with my first {short-lived} marriage and it was such a fun day! Planning a wedding is stressful and you wonder how in the heck it will all come together, but somehow it does and it's worth it. I can't wait to hear about yours!!!

      Delete
  6. Love this idea of telling your love story. You are cute and funny too!

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...