Monday, February 4, 2013

how i met your father.



Husband and I are counting down ten days until our 14th wedding anniversary! Yes, we were married on Valentine's Day. In Las Vegas. In 1999. We are so super cool like that. More about that later, though.
Right now I want to start at the beginning. It's time to get this story written down, for the kids. And for me. I'm a sucker for a love story. I have always enjoyed the story about how my own parents met {my mom, the roller-skating car hop taking my dad's order at the drive-in and falling in love- ooh-la-la}. It turns out I had the same work ethic of my young mom - flirting with a handsome customer at work {tsk tsk}.

Our story begins with me, working as a leasing agent at an apartment complex. I had been working there for maybe three whole weeks when in walked a tall, handsome young man. Only I really didn't notice that much because I was in my professional mode and trying to be all about the business.  I stepped out from behind my desk and introduced myself and we chatted about apartments and prices and all that boring stuff.  He took me up on my offer to show him an available unit {unit?  listen to me talking like an agent} and I drove him through the complex on a golf cart.  Awesome.  We chatted business a bit, trying to keep it formal, only I was not a very formal person, so it wasn't very surprising when I awkwardly blurted out that I had a three year old daughter.  Just so we're clear.  In case you like me.  Why did I just tell him that?  It didn't seem to phase him.  Good to know.  We entered an available apartment and I showed him around.  I was still totally professional.  This guy's going to rent this place, I know it.  We chatted some more and suddenly he asked me, "So, how old are you?"  Ummmmmmm.  I smiled.  I also felt my cheeks turn to red.  I told him my age, which led him to ask what there was to do in town for people our age {we were the same age!!!}, as he was new in town.  Handsome stranger.  This guy was smooth.  And I was buying it.  That's it.  I love you.  What's your name again?  Let's just go get married.  I'm sold.  

I swear it happened that fast.  He asked me my age and I fell in love with him.  Something just clicked. And so he said he wanted to rent the apartment, but he "forgot his checkbook."  He didn't really, but he wanted an excuse to come back and see me the next day.  Can't blame him.  So, we said our goodbyes.  I went home and told my mom "I met the man I'm going to marry.  And he's bald."  True story.  He went home and told his aunt that he "met the girl he's going to marry.  And when he came back the next day, he had his checkbook and we sat and filled out his rental papers.  And then I put my home phone number on his rental agreement, "you know, in case you need anything."

And you know what???  That boy waited THREE WHOLE DAYS to call me.  And when he finally did, we talked for three whole hours on the phone.  And then he asked me out.  Do you know what else??? He made me wait THREE WHOLE DAYS for our date.  WHAT???  But it was worth the wait.  Best first date ever.  And there were many more dates after that because we were inseparable.

One of my fondest memories of those early dates was when we took Elyssa {who was three at the time} to the beach.  It was the second time the two had met, but Elyssa clearly fell for this man just as fast as I had.  On the two-hour drive, he sat in the backseat with her while I drove and apparently they bonded because when we pulled into the parking lot and Husband {then, Boyfriend} offered to take her into the kite shop, she turned and said to me, "you stay here, mommy."  Oh, okay.  

A man who will love a child who is not biologically his own and who will do anything for that child? Now that's a real man.  How could I not fall head over heels for a guy like that?  And 14 years later, the best father ever, to all three of his children.  Yep, I knew he was going to be awesome!  



18 comments:

  1. ahhh!!! HOW romantic! and amazing!! you are blessed :) And beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am very blessed with my family. :)

      Delete
  2. Awww this story is so sweet!! I am seriously having a fit of adorableness over here :)

    You have the cutest family. I hope that doesn't sound weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't sound weird at all! I love stories! :)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful fun story! Reminds me I need to write mine down for my children! Oh and you looked gorgeous as a blond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thanks! I'm thinking I need some blond back in my hair very soon!

      Delete
  4. what a lovely story! So, glad you found sure an awesome guy. Hello, you as a blond=KNOCKOUT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knockout??? Maybe I need to get some highlights! :) Thanks, Kate!

      Delete
  5. Such a sweet and awesome story! so glad you shared :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smiling over here like a goober. I love love stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you just made me smile like a goober too!

      Delete
  7. As a single mom to a beautiful 8 year old girl...this story touches my heart. SO happy you told it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Single moms are the strongest, that's for sure! It's such hard work. I'm happy that my story touches you in some small way. :)

      Delete
  8. Awww! I love this story...I'm a weird person that reads the 2nd part of the story first then found this one and read it! lol When I met my husband he had 2 very young children and 20 years later...here we are and they are totally mine! Best thing that ever happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Misty, I love your story! Thank you for letting us behind the scenes. I see you've posted some follow-up posts. Can't wait to get caught up. :) There seems to be such authentic joy and love in your family and in your home, so it's fun to see where all that began. Blessings to you and the hubs in your marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great story! :) Makes me truly smile. Story was a year old when I started dating my husband. He's loved her like his own from day one. How can you not fall for a guy like that! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...