Monday, February 11, 2013

how we became a family.


Click here for part one, part two, and part three.  Or carry on...

We just look so young!  I can't get over it.  Husband looks 15 without facial hair, doesn't he?  Those dimples.

Much of our courtship is a blurred memory of morning sickness {which for me, was all day sickness}.  We met in July, were el-pre-go in September, and were wed in February.  I was sicker than a dog September through February.  On top of nausea and vomiting at all hours for those months, my mouth had also developed some rare ability to produce truckloads of saliva.  Truckloads.  I had to carry around a washcloth for the constant drooling {even at work}.  I couldn't swallow it all, it was so much.  Gum helped, but nothing completely stopped it.  I would wake up in the morning with my face pressed against a soaked bath towel on my pillowcase.  So gross, I know.  Thank goodness the drooling died down toward the end of my pregnancy, but I became a constant gum-chewer as a result.  Plus I constantly had a Diet Coke in hand to stay hydrated.  I can't even imagine the hot mess I had become.  There's that pregnant girl who looks 15, smacking on her gum and sipping on a Diet Coke.  Picture of health, I'm sure.   Husband had to have been praying silently that his once-cute, non slobbering wife would someday soon return to her original human form.  If he had been praying though, he was doing a darn good job of hiding his worries and just being completely supportive.  He worked, he took care of Elyssa and me, and he brought home fried shrimp & red sauce from my favorite Chinese food restaurant whenever I had a craving {pretty much every night}.  He stayed by my side through it all.

Once the nausea finally lifted and the weather warmed, we were able to get out and enjoy life again.  I was back to my semi-fun-usual self.  We spent time outdoors, we learned to cook a bit more, we shopped for baby stuff.  We were so excited for the new baby!  Husband and I both continued to work, while Elyssa continued at her preschool.  We formed our routines and worked to balance and juggle all the little things that happen when growing a family.  Husband and I got to know each other very quickly and honestly and humbly.  There are just things a pregnant woman can't hide or control {like an unfortunate laugh experience in an unfortunate squat position that led to an unfortunate wet carpet whilst Husband was watching}.  Yes, what I'm saying is that I was squatting down, playing with Elyssa, having a little too much fun, when I laughed and peed on the carpet.  While Husband was watching.  I think I even said aloud, just for good measure, "I'm peeing."  

Oh my goodness, there are so many stories!  Horrible, funny, embarrassing stories that I cannot possibly share.  Could not should not possibly share.  Pregnancy is so fun, isn't it?  It must be.  I did it three times.  Yet, as embarrassing as it was at times, it brought about a certain vulnerability that allowed me to be open and honest enough that I couldn't do this thing by myself.  I needed my husband.  I relied on him.  And he came through every time.  We got real close real fast and I sorta kinda knew everything was going to be alright.  I'm pretty much the luckiest I found that guy.

It's a chocolate chip.

11 comments:

  1. ahhhh! you are adorable pregnant!! amazing story :) I have baby fever ^_______^ your husband sounds amazing and yes, marriage does make you close super fast!!! Hubbs and I met online and married after 3 months. I wouldn't change it FOR THE WORLD!!!! (he is super freaky about having a baby tho tee hee)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys must have just known! How fun!

      Delete
  2. you look great pregnant! I still love the blond hair....I peed my pants too on more then one occasion and once because I was puking...lovely I know. Love these stories, keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would appreciate this story then! So, I wore a long dress to work when I was still having morning sickness and I had to run down a flight of stairs to get to the bathroom. I cut it too close one day, ran down the stairs, pushed open the restroom door, puked on the floor, slid through it in my long dress, fell down, and peed myself. Vomit in my hair and on my dress and on my hands, and pee running down my legs. I had to walk of shame back up to the office to grab my keys to drive home and change. It was not one of my finer moments. :)

      Delete
  3. I love reading your family story and how it all began! Being pregnant I love reading stories of other people's pregnancies! It helps me see the light at the end of the tunnel! I hope I look that good at the end, I'm not due till July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a baby in the summer is awesome! You won't have to bundle up, you can get outside and get fresh air and sunshine! My recoveries went much better with my kids born in June. With my January baby, I felt stuck inside and extra tired. Although that could have been because I had three kids. :)

      Enjoy your pregnancy! It does seem like forever and then suddenly you're done and you have a wonderful little baby!

      Delete
    2. Oh my goodness! I can't imagine having a winter baby and having to be stuck inside!!! I will count my blessings! :-)

      Delete
  4. swoosh.. look at that dark lipstick.. this must have been like the 90's...

    ReplyDelete
  5. you look very Ginger spice in the last pic...

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...