Sunday, March 17, 2013

a fresh, clean start.






Spring is apparently just around the corner {although you would hardly know it from the frigid weather here in Pittsburgh} and while I've been getting mentally prepared to do some Spring cleaning around the house, I'm thinking this is also a great time to clean up the blog and offer myself a little bit of a fresh start.
As you probably know by now, Google Reader is closing shop. At first I was bumming out, wondering about readership and if my numbers would go down.  When I first started Across and Down, my main focus was on our big move across the country and all of our little adventures along the way.  It has also been a great way to let family and friends peek into our daily lives, since we live so far away.  The grandparents have been able to see how the grandkids are doing and what we've been up to.  It's funny because now when I talk to family on the phone, they always already know everything because of the blog.  So, I guess it's working.  :)  My dad can even tell when one of the kids has grown because of the photos!
Somewhere along the way though {and I think this happens with other bloggers?}, I started fixating on my growing number of followers.  When the numbers go up, I'm happy.  When suddenly I drop a number, I'm sad.  I start doubting myself.  I actually take time out of my day to wonder why someone {I don't even know} would decide to unfollow me.  Waste of time.  The thing is, not everyone is going to find something they connect with in my blog.  I'm not religious, I didn't just have a baby, I am not traveling to foreign lands, I don't live in NYC, I don't write in extreme sarcasm about my children, I'm not offered free products from Hunter's boots, and I'm not going to be featured on any DIY blogs.  That pretty much takes me out of the running for a whole bunch of people.  But what I do have to offer is just a real, honest peek into my family life and what we are into these days; what we are doing for fun, what we do to be an awesome family.  It's all just stuff that hopefully the grandparents can be proud of or have a laugh at.  And when I or Husband or the kids flip back through the posts, I want it to be stuff we're proud of too.
So, I'm just going to tell you right now... the outfit posts have got to go.  They really just do.  They are the ONLY part of my blog that makes me cringe.  I'm not going to delete them or anything.  It's all a phase that will stay documented in history, but I can't pose in my clothes anymore.  The style posts have brought in my biggest number of followers.  For some reason, bloggers just like seeing what other bloggers are wearing {I'm guilty there}.  We are a crazy crew!  But a few months ago Husband introduced me to an article that prompted the question, "Why in the heck would I do that?"  And we've been asking ourselves that question for just about every situation that we don't really want to be in.  And if I cringe at the thought of my parents showing my blog to their friends {because they do} and their friends seeing me posing ridiculously for an outfit shot, I have to ask myself, "WHY IN THE HECK AM I DOING THAT THEN???"  Is it for followers?  Is it worth the embarrassment?  Yes and no.
So, if you joined this crazy blog because I know how to dress, thank you!  And I'm sorry.  I will still totally enjoy your style blog!

All I'm really trying to get at here is that starting now is a really great time for me to get back to blogging for me and my family.  Not blogging with the hopes that I'll be rich and famous.  Not linking up with style posts because I know I'll get at least two more followers.  Not linking up a half-ass DIY project because I might get featured.  Just blogging because I love it and it's fun and it's become so very much part of my life.  Because I want my kids to be able to look back at the time they left everything they knew to move across the country.  And they rocked it.  They rock it everyday.


*P.S. You'll see I pulled the plug on Google Friend Connect.
I'M FREEEEEEEE!!!!!

**More P.S. I'll still post outfits on Instagram from time to time, so you can peek in on me there!

11 comments:

  1. I will still love and read your blog without the outfit posts :) Your writing style is so fun and fresh! Thanks for keepin it real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Real is all I know. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, your sweet comment went away! Sorry it took me a while to respond. It's been crazy around here. But it's so nice to hear from a fellow Pittsburgher. We should try to meet up sometime and grab coffee or something. It would be fun to meet you. :)

      Email me if you want and we can talk that way! I hope to hear from you!

      Misty

      Delete
  3. Love your post today. So honest. That reminds me of this article. Helped me a lot.

    http://pandodaily.com/2012/08/14/the-ultimate-productivity-tool/

    ReplyDelete
  4. way to go Misty!! It is hard to not get wrapped in numbers I will admit. I am with you about the outfits. I too cringe every time I hit the button, I also got the most views and followers. The thing is they were not active members, they never commented,just added to my followers making me feel good about myself, stupid i know! I do love fashion and i may post a cute new outfit from time to time, but I have been thinking the same thing, why am i doing this? Way to take a stand Misty, I'm not going anywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! You rock! Is it funny that I'm already having outfit post withdrawals? :) I do love clothes, so I will find ways to sneak in pictures of me dressed, but I just don't want to get caught up in doing it for link-ups.

      You are awesome!

      Delete
  5. Girrrrrrrllll.. if I knew how to do anything that could benefit my blog I'd do it.. but I am so blog naive that I just keep posting every day hoping people will be somewhat entertained... there was a huge controversy at "All in my Twenties" about sponser and giveaways... there are some blogs that I used to really like but then they started getting sponsers and the more sponsers they got, the more they wanted and now its like a billboard for attracting sponsers... I like the pure blogs.. the ones with pictures (I say that like I'm 2) and a little story now and then... your blogs is one of my favs!!! Please keep blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girly! I'm not going anywhere! And I'm already missing my outfit posting. Funny, huh? I'll definitely find ways to sneak in my clothes at times, I just don't wanna get sucked into all of the link-ups and I had to quit cold turkey. :)

      Misty

      Delete
  6. I have to say, I'm gonna miss your fashion posts! You have a knack for not only creating stylish ensembles, but writing about them in a way that is entertaining and fresh. Actually, all your posts are infused with a sense of your personality, and that is what makes them so fun to read. Keep 'em coming~ be they about clothes, kids, food, or life in general! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessie! I am sure I'll sneak in my clothes-wearing here and there. I do love clothes!!! I just had to give myself a break from the link-up deadlines and pressure to get my pictures taken. My brain finally went STOP THE MADNESS!
      I'm already having withdrawals though. I do love me some style posts. :)

      Misty

      Delete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...