Wednesday, March 13, 2013

my new wrist-mate - the nike fuelband.

Let's talk Nike FuelBand for a second.  A couple of {awesome + amazing} instagram friends asked if I would do a post about this sporty, little bracelet, after I posted a photo the other day.  The people wanna know, "Is it worth my hard-earned dough?"  And I really can't answer that for you because I don't know you all that well, but I can tell you what I think about this gadget.  Like, first of all, I LOVE IT!  But let's just remember that I've only been wearing this thing for 72 hours or so.  I can't say if the motivation will wear off over time, but my brain seems pretty intent on giving it a long-term go.  

First I'll start with aesthetics {or perhaps you don't think it's pretty?}.  It kind of looks like a hospital bracelet/watch.  It might not go well with your pretty multi-colored bangles or silver bracelets, but I still think it looks cool.  It doesn't stand out in a statement kind of way.  Yet, you're probably going to want people to see it because it's so super cool and you're a little bit proud of it since it's motivated you to be off of your butt all day.  But what do I know, really?  I have small wrists, so I have the small bracelet.  They come in three sizes, so that's handy.  Mine fits marvelously well and I would hardly know it's there, except that I'm always looking at it to see how many calories I've burned and if I've made my goal yet.

Speaking of "goal," it's the best part.  Let's not get ahead of ourselves though.  The button.  There's only one, so it's super easy.  You press it once and see your Fuel Points.  You press it again to see your Calories burned.  You press it again to see how many Steps you've taken.  And you press it again to see the Time of day.  

Fuel Points:  You get to set a goal for yourself for how active you want to be.  A goal of 2,000 is for the more sedentary life-style.  A goal of 3,000 is for the person who works out or runs daily or who is up and moving around most of the day.  A goal of 4,000 is a sporty spice who is totally on the move.  A goal of 5,000 is for the overachiever in the sports world who probably needs to sit down and watch some tv some time.  I have had my goal set for 3,000 and have achieved it all three days.  Two of those days I ran and worked out.  One of those days, I achieved it doing housework all day.  So, you don't need to be running or anything.  You just need to be moving.

Calories:  Take this number with a grain of salt.  There's no way for this bracelet to know the intensity of your activity or if your running up the steepest hill of your entire life and think you're going to die.  You burn more calories in those activities than you do when you run around a flat track or on an elliptical machine.  Never-the-less, it is a good tool and comes within range.  It let's you know if you can eat that second cookie or not.  Just eat it.

Steps:  This is the number of steps you take during the day.  This number amazes me.  I achieve my 3,000 goal by taking between 8,000 and 9,000 steps per day.  Awesome!  

Time:  Do I really need to even explain this?  Moving on...


There's an app for that.  The Nike FuelBand syncs with my iPhone {of course!!!} and keeps track of my points and goals and all that information.  If I had friends, we could link up and cheer for one another {but most likely just compete against each other}.  What is the coolest though, is the little celebration stuff that happens when I make my goal.  Flashy lights are completely motivational. 

But the little robot guy who dances is the greatest thing ever.  He's probably reason number one for enjoying this bracelet so much.  Sure, the sweat running down my back {and across my forehead and pooling behind my knees} from my hour-long run is reward enough.  And the way my clothes are fitting looser is pretty awesome too.  Oh and the little bulge of muscle I'm getting on my upper arm is pretty dang rad.  Those are all great motivators, I have to admit.  But nothing gets my butt off of the couch more than knowing I'm going to see that robot bust a move when I reach my goal.  Is that weird?  That's definitely weird, isn't it?  


So, my brain is easily influenced by a cartoon.  That wouldn't be the first time.  
You have no idea how much I learned from Sponge Bob Square Pants.

And if your brain is like my brain, than this Nike FuelBand would probably not suck for you.


Thank you to Husband for the band!  I lerve it with all of my heart.  :)

5 comments:

  1. Yay!! Thank you for letting us know. I've been eyeing it, too! Do you wear it 24-7? in the shower, too? Sorry - that's not weird/stalkerish is it?
    xoxo
    Nikki
    IG: @nikkionwren :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Miss Stalker-Lady! :) It isn't made to get drenched with water, so I take it off while I shower. It can handle getting wet, but not for swimming and such. I just don't want to chance it in the shower because I'm afraid of ruining it. After dropping my iPhone in the toilet a few times, I learned that i just don't want to mess around with water and things with batteries. :)
      I also remove it while I'm sleeping. It only needs to be charged every four days, so I will be charging it while I'm asleep. Other than those times, I am constantly wearing it. Like right now!!!

      Delete
  2. My husband got me the fuelband for my birthday (because he knew I wanted it), but I haven't broken it out of the box yet. I figured there isn't much of a point until the baby is born in keeping track of those things. :) But I am hoping it will be a good motivator when it comes time to lose baby weight (not that I necessarily need motivation, but a tool none the less). I'm so glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never even heard of the nike fuelband before. I totally want this. I sit at my desk all day, so maybe it would give me some motivation to get off my butt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at dancing robot. My clothes fitting looser is amazing but a robot dancing for me would really get me moving even more.

    Ps I love the way your recipe page is set up and that its 99% PW. Because, seriously, she just makes the best food.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...