Tuesday, April 16, 2013

sometimes in real life.

Sometimes in real life you just make things work because it seems dumb to buy a whole new, expensive, shiny appliance when a small spoon will do the trick.  I chipped off an important piece of the lid a few months ago {the piece that makes the motor run}, but just look at my inventiveness, would ya!

It looks like I got super lucky, filled just to the brim.  One more tomato and it would have been a different story.

Three jars of salsa = 2 chunky + 1 pureed to death.  I like mine chunk-free, but Elyssa and Husband asked for chunks.

And sometimes in real life you won't shower all day because you had every good intention of getting yourself to the gym.  But sometimes the gym just doesn't happen, so an evening bike ride with one of your kids will do just fine.  You have to give yourself credit though... you did make awesome salsa, after all.




Gosh darnit.  I wanted a light and happy post.  I really did.  But my mind keeps wandering to Boston and I find myself checking my CNN app for any updates on victims.  I've been thinking nonstop about the little boy who died and his mom who had to have brain surgery and his little sister who lost a leg and his father who was running in the marathon, probably exhausted but mostly feeling good and accomplished...about to face his worst nightmare.  After a huge race like that, all you're thinking about is a giant bowl of spaghetti or a huge double cheeseburger.  That's all you should have to think about.  The whole thing is just senseless.  And heartbreaking.  And devastating.  For God's sake, the children.  Why are we losing so many innocent children to violence?

A few days ago, Husband e-mailed me this article titled News is Bad for You.  It is such a great article and makes sense why we shouldn't always be bombarding ourselves with media stories.  News stories, like the Boston marathon explosions, make us anxious and scared.  We consider never running in a marathon again.  We consider never going out in crowded places again.  We find ourselves feeling passive, like our world is just out of control and we have no power over it.  We panic. Of course, there are stories we relate to and we are drawn to seeing the heroes and helpers rise from the ashes of tragedy.  I find myself glued to the big stories; 9/11, Sandy Hook, Columbine, and now Boston.  But I often wonder if it is good for me to let myself become so consumed.  We know it is not good for our children and we do our best to protect them from seeing images and hearing those stories.  But is is good for adults to become so consumed with the news?

I have tried several times over the years to quit watching the news, but it has proved to be a difficult task.  I do try not to read CNN before bedtime or watch the 11:00 news late at night, so I can actually fall asleep without the stress of the world on my mind and it does help me fall asleep faster.  But news is everywhere these days; on Twitter, Facebook, blogs, and it even breaks into regular tv programming if it is a big enough story.  Media is absolutely everywhere at all times and it is here to stay.  Not only is it difficult to take a break from the media, but it almost seems wrong to turn my back on these huge stories, like in Boston.  If I turn the tv off, does that mean I am being ignorant?  Shouldn't I know what is going on in our world today?  Shouldn't I try my best to imagine what these people in the news are going through?  Will it make them feel better that I was behind the screen feeling empathetic?  Will it make me feel better?  Will it make me feel better?  So far it doesn't make me feel any better.

Are you a news junkie?  Or do you tune it out?  How do we strike a balance so that we are aware of current events, but not living in fear?  I'd love to hear your thoughts!



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for thinking of us out here in Boston. It is so senseless and insane that someone can so quickly and violently ruin one of the best days of the year in our city. If you weren't at the Marathon or the Red Sox game yesterday you most certainly knew multiple people who were, and nothing can match the dread and panic we all felt yesterday as it all began to unfold. I have always been the same way about watching way too much news footage of tragedies and not being able to pry myself away and feeling like if I wasn't watching, I wasn't doing the right thing. When it's in your city, you feel like you have to watch it not only for those reasons but to also get updates on your safety! However, all of that being said there comes a time where you can't give terrorists the satisfaction of all of your attention and time. You need to be outside enjoying the beautiful day and living your beautiful life. The best thing I did today (and the scariest thing maybe of my life) was driving INTO BOSTON today to keep an appointment for a much needed haircut. I know this sounds ridiculous. However, it was my way of saying 'crazy people of the world, you cannot stop me from carrying on with my life'! I think everyone will see soon how resilient all of Boston is as a people, we ahh wicked tough! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it perfectly. We just have to keep living our lives and enjoying it while we can. I have no doubt the people of Boston will pull through and rally together and next year I imagine the marathon will have the biggest turnout of all. I've heard you guys are "ahh" wicked tough - in a good way! :)

      Delete
  2. I enjoy reading your blog every so often, and am finally commenting as you asked a great question about the news...my friends and I were discussing that just last night.

    A couple of them (health professionals) brought up the fact that watching the news brings us passive stress (really bad for us, because we have no outlet for it) but that we can turn it into active stress (healthy stress, because we find an outlet that helps us deal and actually benefits us mentally, emotionally, spiritually, physically).

    They said we can turn passive stress into active stress by releasing it through 1) prayer (for those who choose to believe) and 2) active service. Not everyone can be in Boston to serve those affected, but we can serve the people in need in our communities here and now.

    It reminds me of the quote that's gone viral: “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ To this day, especially in times of ‘disaster,’ I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers - so many caring people in this world.” — Mister Rogers

    We have the chance to keep our eyes open to the needs around us and be the "helper" where we are today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to reply! It's perfect, actually. It's the balance I was looking for - I can watch the news actively, rather than passively. I can find ways to help others rather than feel that there's nothing I can do. There is always something to give, even the smallest act.
      You have really helped me out today. :)

      Delete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...