Saturday, May 4, 2013

a nesting bird and a healthier deviled egg recipe.



Four little, blue eggs are sitting in a nest below our deck and a mama bird is busying herself with all things nesting.  It's really quite incredible to watch her do her thing.  If we get anywhere near her little living space, she darts up onto a nearby tree branch where she can see us and she lets us have it with a good bit of squawking.  She also hops a perimeter around the garden area in the backyard to collect food and keep an eye on things.  I absolutely love seeing nature in action and am looking forward to the morning I walk out and hear little, chirping babies under our deck.  Mama bird doesn't know it, but I'm going to be helping her by keeping my cats out of her way.  But she'll have to figure out what to do with all of the other pesky critters out there.

Speaking of eggs...

Elyssa {the college student} is experiencing the wonderful world of final exams right now.  She's remained calm and confident throughout, but late last night she finally lost it a little bit.  She had forgotten to make a healthy snack for her 9am Saturday nutrition class, a snack that couldn't be carrot sticks and that was going to be graded.  Well, of course Husband and I jumped on an opportunity to help our Miss Independent.  This girl usually has her stuff together and as parentals, we are usually just obstacles in her way, but in this moment she actually needed us.  And so of course we did her healthy snack assignment for her!  Shhhhh, don't tell.  

A quick search online, using ingredients we already had in the house at Midnight on a Friday, I discovered a healthy deviled egg option.  And so I made them.  And took photos.  And now I will share them.


Healthy Deviled Eggs

 6 eggs
1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
2 TBS dijon mustard
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp salt
Paprika for garnish

Hard boil the eggs.  I place the eggs in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.  Then I cover the pot, remove from heat and let the eggs stay in for 15 minutes.  Then I rinse them with cold water.  To crack them with better success, I roll each egg in my hand, tap it against the counter gently, all around the egg, and then they tend to peel in larger chunks.

Rinse them off to remove any crunchies.  You don't want to bite into those.  Ick!

Slice the eggs in half.  I spray a large knife with Pam before cutting and wipe off the knife between eggs, otherwise it gets messy.


Add the ingredients (except the Paprika) and mix and mix and mix.  




Smoosh the yolks back into the little eggs and sprinkle lightly with the Paprika.  Or do like I did and sprinkle them unevenly.  Why is it so hard, this sprinkling part?


Just so you know, if you don't like Greek yogurt, then probably the less healthy mayonnaise version is better for you.  If you don't like dijon mustard, then you probably want to use yellow mustard instead.

I like mayonnaise and yellow mustard.  These are really tasty, but I could totally taste the yogurt {which I am not a fan of - and that's being kind}.  But if you're try to be HEALTHY....

this is a great option.

And if you're allergic to eggs {like my poor mother}, then you might not want to go anywhere near this recipe.

But you probably already know that.  It's just been a late night and an early morning with eggs and I'm all kinds of loopy.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...