Tuesday, May 21, 2013

those mortifying health videos that just about killed the neighbor boy.


McKenna burst through the front door yesterday after school, saying she needed to speak privately with me in her room. Door closed.  This was serious business.  Apparently the next door neighbor boy {a wonderfully sweet kid the same age as McKenna} had a very emotional response to watching a fifth grade health video about puberty in his classroom yesterday.  He recanted his tale of horror on the bus ride home and it had McKenna pretty freaked because she knew she would be watching it the following day.  He said he cried.  Maybe even sobbed, and had to step out from the boy-filled classroom {thank goodness boys are separated from girls}.  Poor kid.

As a parent, this discussing of puberty is a little bit uncomfortable, especially with the first-born child.  By three kids though, we've kind of become an open book.  I explained to McKenna that those dumb videos have been around since I was a child and they were just as embarrassing then.  It's an awkward subject and it can be scary, but it's all just a part of life.  The scariest thing about the videos is probably the cheesy acting, because let's face it, who wants to be an actor in that kind of movie?  I assured her that most of the girls would be giggling and that's actually how I survived watching them.  I giggled.  Even in high school.  Even now.  It's a coping mechanism I highly recommend.

And so today, McKenna was happy to report that she did giggle through the videos and the acting is still horribly cheesy.  She also learned stuff and asked me questions and I openly answered them.  And then we stopped.  Because sometimes you just need to stop.

Moving on...



8 comments:

  1. oh man. those videos. ahhhhhhhhhhh. I cringe. MMy soul cringes. I'm glad you are open with your childern, and they are open with you. my mom was very open at discussing anything with me, and it really helped. She also was very respectful of my privacy too :) Because of this, I never felt afraid of discussing things with her.

    Poor Mr. Adventure (my husband) through--his parents never talked about anything with him. Never. Not once. So he learned everything from his friends and the internet. I do not plan on repeating this choice with our children. (I was actually really shocked when he told me this...and angry at his parents, a little, because puberty and male/female attractions can be some very hard things to navigate by oneself without any guidance)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kudos to your parents! I am all about respecting the privacy too. There are just some things I really don't need to know. :) I am happy my kids feel like they can drag me into their bedrooms and tell me stuff and ask for advice. It's not the easiest thing in the world, but it's a good thing and well worth the time and effort to help them out.

      Delete
  2. All the schools must be on the same schedule, except in CT they're showing them to 4th graders. I'm still on the fence to even let my son watch the film. I called the nurse to ask what was specifically shown, and she mentioned, "nocturnal emissions" I almost DIED. Ugg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! That term!!! I would have died too!

      Delete
  3. oh my gosh, I remember those horrrrible videos. I always love reading your blog and seeing how much of an awesome mom you are! :):) and that daughter or yours? absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hallie! I sure do enjoy your blog too!

      Delete
  4. I'm not looking forward to my kids watching these videos at all. I'm glad that they separate the boys and the girls, though. Makes it a *little* less uncomfortable. I think it's so good that she feels comfortable enough to tell you about these things. I want my kids to feel the same way. You're a good momma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ashley. It's one of those things that I try to be open about, but very short and to-the-point and now let's talk about something else. :) I know a high school Health teacher who will have her freshman son in her class next year. She has to teach the subject to her son and his friends. Can you even imagine????

      Delete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...