Monday, November 18, 2013

an early thanksgiving feast.


Grandparents visiting ten days before Thanksgiving day makes for a great opportunity to celebrate thankfulness a little bit early.  Anticipation got the best of me and I had our tabletop set two whole days before their arrival.  Husband usually takes advantage of the empty dining room and uses the table as his home office, but if those darn china plates didn't take precedence.  I was ready for a turkey dinner!!!  
I don't really have a traditional way of preparing the turkey.  The system most used by me is whatever is at the top of Google's search results.  Last year I brined in a bright, orange Home Depot bucket.  This year I simply rinsed off Mr. Turkey, rubbed him down with butter, salt n' peppered him, and stuck him in the oven until that red pokey-thing popped out.  I heard no complaints as people gobbled him up with mashed potatoes and drippings-for-gravy.  He was delicious and my mom noted that even the white meat was moist.  Ten points for the lazy route!
I can't tell you how good it was to have my parents here {and not just because my mom does all the dishes and my dad rakes all the leaves}.  It's nice to have the people around who just get me and who know me and who accept me.  My kids love seeing their grandparents and it's just so necessary that we keep connected and listen to family stories and get caught up in person.  We learn so much about ourselves and where we come from and who we look alike and where we get that personality trait.  I am so thankful that my parents were able to squeeze in a Pittsburgh stop before they head over the Atlantic Ocean and begin their amazing vacation.

Bon Voyage, Grandma and Papa!!!


2 comments:

  1. How fun! What a gorgeous setting, and yummmy food! So glad you all got to celebrate together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I need to show my finance this, I'm not the only one who sets a table before the day of the event! Enjoy your parents' visit. I know I soak in every second of my visits with my parents. You are right, it's nice to be with people who just get you.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Emilie

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...