Thursday, November 7, 2013

thankful for spokane-living.



It snowed in Spokane, Washington this week {our previous home of seven years}. I know because Facebook tells me so, with loads of photos. Some friends love the white stuff, some hate it, but they all take photos of it regardless. The photos are a reminder of what we're missing, at least it feels that way sometimes. I know I'm not "missing" anything really because I have a great thing going here in Pittsburgh, but still the photos pull at my heartstrings. I'm human and vulnerable. I'm always a little bit more nostalgic toward the approaching holiday season anyway, so this is nothing new or surprising. I like to look back, but I don't like having regrets, so I keep my trips down memory lane very surface-level.
When we were in the process of leaving Spokane, subconsciously we tried to push the great things about that place out of our minds. It was easy to focus on high crime rate, high homelessness rate, and our junky neighbors on our busy street. I was constantly trying to find ways to justify leaving that craphole, so it didn't hurt so bad. While it is undeniably true that the crime rate is high there, the truth is that it was a great place to raise a family. It was a great place to raise our young children. I am thankful for our time there.  For me, it offered an opportunity to raise my kids and go back to school myself.  I feel like I did a lot of growing up in that city too. I felt empowered. It prepared me for a big move into unknown territory. For that, I will always be grateful.

Thanks, Spokane!
You're anything but a craphole.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...