Monday, January 27, 2014

the long, cold winter.

This is definitely a winter for the record books. I have never experienced such cold temperatures...every...single...day. Just about every other day, the schools send out an e-mail notification that school will be on a two-hour delay and tomorrow the schools aren't even going to bother opening at all.

In spite of the weather, the weekend was still a lovely one.  In fact, the weather helped make it a lovely one, which is hard to admit {because isn't it so easy to be miserable over cold, gray skies?}.  After dinner on Saturday night, when all was dark, I somehow decided I needed to get the family outside for some night-time sledding at the park across the street.  I have no idea what got into me, but I managed to guilt the two kids, and even Husband, into bundling up in their snow gear, grabbing the sleds, and heading out into the clear, crisp night air.  And wouldn't you know, that initial whining turned around real quick and we were laughing and having a grand old time.  And oh boy, the calorie-burning!  I had almost forgotten what that was like.  Husband kept asking me what had gotten into me and how I had come up with the idea to go sledding in the freezing cold dark and I still honestly don't know.  I guess I had a momentary lapse, whereby a most pleasurable mom took over my body. We simply shan't let these miraculous moments escape us unscathed.  Seize it.

Sunday was a surprise for Pittsburgh.  Everyone woke up innocently Sunday morning to head to church, or breakfast diners, or {for us} basketball games.  At noon, when we all came out of our respective buildings, we all found the roads completely covered in snow and even more of that stuff falling from the sky.  It was a mess and we were a mess and traffic was a slippery mess.  There was nothing to do but stop at Starbucks for hot cocoa and head home to shovel snow like the shoveling warriors we have become.

Be back tomorrow for the same story, different day, I am sure.

1 comment:

  1. that just sounds heavenly! enjoy that beautiful winter weather (we have had hot dry windy fires earthquakes weather in Cali, ick)

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...