Tuesday, February 18, 2014

a little bit of wintery boston.


We headed straight for McCormick and Schmick's, after our plane successfully landed through such a tremendous nail-biter of a headwind and we were successfully reunited with our luggage full of warm clothes {and fancy attire we were never going to wear}.  I had already started not to feel my best, but I mostly blamed the slight nausea on the nerve-racking final descent into Boston and did my best to gobble up the fish and chips I ordered.  Because it was our anniversary, the server brought us a complimentary lava cake + ice cream dessert and I helped devour that as well.  Then we bundled up and joined the Bostonians in trudging through the slush to see the downtown sights {as much as we could}.  Boston, as with all of these amazingly beautiful East Coast cities, is such a captivating mix of old and new architecture.  It's what I love.  It's easy on my eyes, for sure.  Such history around every corner.  And the placards!!!  I could read them all day.  Except I'll have to come back and do that another time.  There's just something so darn COLD about winter in New England.  It's just not the right time to stop and read the historic signs every few minutes.

We knew nothing about Boston {still don't, really}, so we were happy we landed ourselves in a hip, little downtown area on the first try.  I've never in my life seen so many indoor food kiosks of every kind of food from every kind of place imaginable.  Amazing.  And all indoor.  :)  We were also lucky to run into the Holocaust memorial, which we didn't even know existed.  In truth, we were trudging along on the sidewalk and across the street it looked like people were standing inside glass warming huts or something.  Steam was rising all around them and they were out of the wind.  They looked happy and warm.   So, of course, we darted across the street to get in on that action!  Only, it wasn't what we thought at all.  Etched onto the tall, glass enclosures were serial numbers upon serial numbers and quotes from Holocaust survivors.  It was simply mind-blowing and a beautiful, thought-provoking remembrance of all those lives lost.  If we hadn't been so spontaneous in our planning, I'm sure we would have missed it.  And no, unfortunately there was no warm air coming up from the vents.  The steam was for significance more than anything.  It was okay though.  After seeing the never-ending rows of numbers, it seemed wrong to complain about being a little chilly.  

Anyway, if you ever happen to be in Boston, grabbing a bite at the Hard Rock Cafe or venturing through the street markets, we recommend this little stop.


8 comments:

  1. what a beautiful city! how fun! what a gorgeous Holocaust memorial, how neat that you found that in your travels :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! We lucked out this trip (minus the whole sick part :).

      Delete
  2. I went to boston once when I was 15, and promptly fell in love and told myself one day I would be a starving artist there.

    But of course I've never been back :P tee hee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I visited Boston when I was a teenager too and promptly fell in love. So much for starving, but at least you're an artist. :)

      Delete
  3. I have always wanted to go to Boston, so sorry you got sick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate. It would have been nice to see a lot more, but at least we were forced to rest a little. :)

      Delete
  4. I am so jealous! I have wanted to go to Boston forever! I am sorry you got sick, but glad you guys had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally go to Boston! Not right now though. It's too cold. :)

      Delete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...