Thursday, February 20, 2014

west end inn - portland, maine

Welcome to the West End Inn in Portland, Maine.  Oh boy, what a bed & breakfast!
I would know, since I had to spend more hours sick in bed than I would have liked.

I fell in love the moment I walked through the door.  It's just beautifully charming inside, with bright paint colors and cottage-y decor.  The owners were so welcoming.  They were the perfect hosts; not there too much, but there just enough.  Warm cookies were waiting upon our arrival {although I had to pass because at this point the nausea had really started to take hold}.  We were shown to our room, which I love-love-loved, where we had our own private bathroom {thank God}, and we just knew we hit hotel gold.

If only our anniversary night had been as amazing as our b&b.  Alas, no.  I will say that Husband gave his all.  He had big, romantic plans for a night out on the Portland town, all fancy-shmancy et al.    But the second he finished ironing his suit pants, I was cupping my hand over my mouth and beelining for the bathroom.  And he was following behind to gather his maiden's hair into a loving ponytail, whilst she knelt at the porcelain throne.  My kind hero.  That's how the rest of our evening went.  Thank goodness Olympic curling was on, to pass the time {I'm sarcastic, of course}.  At one point, late into the evening, Husband decided he finally needed dinner and attempted to eat Thai in the same room as me.  That didn't work out.  Worst smell ever.  So, there he went, out to dine alone in the living room on Valentine's day.  It was sad, of course, but it takes a little more than that to bring us down.  It meant the world to me that he had planned this all up.  So what if we had to cancel plans and stay inside for the night.  I was just happy to have his company.

After a good night's sleep, I did manage to wake up and join the other guests for breakfast in the dining room the following morning.  What a spread!  I was able to eat yummy eggs and toast, but I wish I could have eaten what everyone else was enjoying!  Blueberry pancakes, waffles, lobster omelet's, bacon, breakfast potatoes, berry crumble with yogurt, fresh juicer juice... all so beautifully arranged.  It was wonderful.

I said this to the owner and I'll say it to you too; if I had to get sick, this was the place to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...