Friday, May 2, 2014

outdoor school with my kid.

WOW!!!  What a fast-paced {shower-less} past few days out in the natural environments!  McKenna's school does something pretty cool in the 6th grade.  Like so many middle schools, the 6th graders go away to outdoor school, but at her school it's a parent-child thing.  This is something that the kids fundraise for beginning in 5th grade and spend so much time preparing for in the weeks prior to the trip.  It's like a rite of passage for the kids in our district and it's so very cool to be part of the experience.  For me, it was a chance to bond with my daughter, observe her with her teachers and friends, and also get to know the other parents.  One thing I learned while seeing McKenna in action during her lessons was just how smart that girl is.  I mean, she just really knows her science.  Give her an owl pellet to dissect and she's in heaven. :)

The trip was such a whirlwind.  I don't think I have ever crammed so much into 2.5 days in my entire life.  The rain couldn't keep us down.  It kept us cold, but not down.  We hiked uphill both ways, we sang camp songs, we camp-fired and s'mored, we sat through lessons, we ate like kings, we laughed and laughed, we sat rarely, we slept in bunk beds, we forwent showers, we played games, and we whined only a little, tiny bit when our warm layers weren't enough to keep us warm.  If I had any sliver of energy left, I'd do it all over again.

Thank you, Mckenna, for letting your mom hang with you for a few days!
You are amazing.
Let it go.  Let it go!

1 comment:

  1. How awesome - I wish our school did that! Lucky, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...