Wednesday, July 9, 2014

one full day in DC: smithsonian national museum of natural science.


What a day!  What a long, full, fun day!

I have to tell you, we had such success with the DC Metro commuter train.  There really is no reason to drive into DC and deal with all of that traffic and parking.  I mean, no matter what, you're going to end up walking, so why worry about parking?  The train was so easy-peasy.  We drove to the station, parked our car for 5 bucks, paid for fare at the machines, and boarded the train right away.  A half-hour later we hopped off at the Metro Center and walked three blocks to the White House.  It was so easy.

From that point on, however, we walked the length of a full marathon.  Ouch.

I had initially planned on spending two days in DC, but the kids were troopers and we pushed ourselves to the limit, which is not easy to do when it's a very muggy 90 degrees out.  We did it all in one day and I don't think I could convince these guys to return again tomorrow.  Our feet would fall right off.  Popsicles, ice cream, water, and Diet Coke saved our lives.  Oh, and cold museums!  Cold museums rejuvenated our poor desperate, melting souls.  That feeling when you open a door to an air conditioned building and the cool breeze hits your face...miracles, miracles, miracles.

The Smithsonian National Museum of Natural Science is amazing.  I'm not usually a fan of taxidermy (Cabela's does a great job of making it extra creepy) but DANG, the animals in this museum are awesome!  There was so much to see and learn about.  We saw skeletons of every kind of animal imaginable.  We saw the heavily guarded Hope diamond necklace.  We touched meteors and rocks from Mars.  Jackson also ate the second best hotdog he's ever had, which I'd expect after paying over $40 bucks to eat in the museum cafe.  :)  But I'd pay that all over again, just to get a reprieve from the heat.

I've got so much more of our adventure to share!!!  I can't wait to show off more photos!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, what a fun fun day!!!

    (p.s. I've missed your blog!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...