Tuesday, August 26, 2014

back to school.

The first day of school (Monday) was a killer.  I mean, it was probably harder for the kids, being that they were required to sit and listen to their teachers all day.  But, man, I was a zombie the entire day.  Thank goodness I had time for a nap.  Like two hours for a nap.  :)

Jackson (the sophomore) was the first to catch the bus.  He was up bright and early, ready to go.  No snooze button for this fellow.

McKenna (7th grade) gets to sleep in an hour later than Jackson, lucky girl.  She might have pressed snooze once.  This girl definitely knows her own style (90's chick!) and was super excited to pick out her first day outfit.  She even let me curl her hair real quick.  She was also feeling pretty sneaky because it looks like she's baring her midriff (but she's really wearing a tan tank top underneath).  

This is the first year I couldn't get Elyssa in a first day of school photo because she's all moved out and stuff, but that wonderful girl sent me a selfie from her first day back to college.  It made my day, really.  It rated up there with that nap, for sure.  :)

Nap time is over!  Today (Tuesday) was my turn to get back into the classroom to finish up my PCE student teaching tasks!  I'm in a third grade classroom this Fall, which is a totally new experience for this Early Childhood grad.  I noticed right away that third graders aren't as into their teachers as the younger students.  And they seem to have opinions about homework that they are more willing to share.  I'm going to have to win them over with my wit and charm (maybe candy too).  I am definitely learning about how teachers survive the first days/weeks of school.  If I didn't already have so much respect for teachers and all of the hard work they do, this one day would do it.  There were times when I thought, "This is where I'm supposed to be." And then a few minutes later, "How in the heck am I ever going to have my own classroom?"  

I do know this, above all other things I have learned in all my years of learning... one moment at a time.  There's no sense in worrying about things that haven't happened yet.  When the time comes, I'll be ready and I'll give attention to it then.  For now, I just focus on the tasks at hand and observe everything.  The thing about being a teacher is that it is continuous learning.  It is always changing.  That's what makes it so scary and so cool at the same time.  Today I asked a teacher (who has been teaching for 24 years) at what year the butterflies disappeared for her and she said that she still gets butterflies at the beginning of every year.  Butterflies just mean you care.  :)


2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, the first day of school is definitely a killer for anybody! Everyone looks great though, and that yellow shirt!! I want! ;)
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Thank goodness this first week back to school is followed by a three day weekend!!! :)

      Delete

Thinking about leaving a comment? That would be so awesome! In fact, you are so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...